To be effective, monitoring must be end-to-end, which means all components in an environment must be monitored such as:
Host hardware: CPUs, disks, and memory
- How much of the CPU is used by the user applications, by the system
- The utilization
- Information about CPU Usage statistics
- Processes consuming the most CPU resources
- Free disk space.
- Total disk space.
- Identify the most utilized and underutilized disks.
- Free memory and total memory available in the system.
- Page swapping.
- Processes that are currently consuming the most memory resources.
Software: applications, services, processes and operating systems
Networks: routers, switches, bandwidth and latency